FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
A successful collaboration: Ontario Corn Fed Beef ‘is BIG in Japan’
October 6, 2015 – London, Ontario – Ontario Corn Fed Beef, a premium beef brand owned and operated by Ontario beef farmers, has successfully expanded into Japan with product featured in over 40 Kinsho Stores in Osaka, where Ontario Corn Fed Beef is featured as the premium imported beef. This past weekend Ontario Corn Fed Beef, Kinsho Stores, and Canada Beef collaborated on multiple consumer events, each with the goal of communicating the Ontario Corn Fed Beef story.
The first event was a consumer cooking class Ontario Corn Fed Beef and Canada Beef co-hosted in conjunction with Kinsho Stores. The event was held to demonstrate the quality and safety assurances of Canadian beef and to demonstrate the high quality of Ontario Corn Fed Beef to Kinsho consumers who used the label from their meat purchase to register for the event, held at a state of the art culinary facility in Osaka.
The second event was a BBQ event in Osaka Japan. Kinsho customers used their proof of purchase of Ontario Corn Fed Beef to enter a lottery to win an invite to the event which was held at a popular facility outside of the city. Over 150 guests enjoyed the event which featured, Mr. BBQ, a local celebrity chef and entertainer who educated the guests on the fine art of barbecuing high quality Canadian Beef. The event was very successful according to Kinsho senior management and the customer feedback of Ontario Corn Fed Beef was extremely positive. Due to the success, there is a plan to repeat this event again next year.
Minister of Finance Charles Sousa was able to join Ontario Corn Fed at both consumer events. “The Japanese market values Ontario Corn Fed Beef and it’s easy to understand why. Ontario prides itself on producing high-quality, safe, and delicious corn-fed beef and communities around the world are taking notice,” said Charles Sousa, Minister of Finance. “It was tremendous to see firsthand the impact that Ontario beef had on the Japanese market.”
In early June, members of Kinsho Stores joined Ontario Corn Fed Beef in Ontario for a farm to fork tour, providing them with a deeper understanding of just what the Ontario Corn Fed Beef brand means. The June tour showcased all the various protocols, processes, and care that go into bringing a consistently great tasting beef to market. The first-hand knowledge gained on the tour provided Kinsho Stores the opportunity to showcase Ontario Corn Fed Beef product in two highly successful and engaging consumer events. At the recent events, Mr Hiroshi Ueda spoke to Kinsho customers of the confidence Kinsho has in Ontario Corn Fed Beef and how confident Kinsho is in the overall quality and safety of the brand.
“Our premium high quality Ontario beef product is being recognized and enthusiastically welcomed globally,” says Jim Clark, Executive Director, Ontario Cattle Feeders’ Association. “We look forward to continuing this strategic growth both domestically and globally.”
In 2014 Canadian Beef exports to Japan were valued at over $103 million. The growth potential for the Ontario Corn Fed Beef brand in the Japanese market is estimated at more than $15 million annually. The incremental value that is generated by developing this key export market directly supports over 1100 jobs in the meat processing sector in Ontario.
For photos, and to arrange an interview please contact:
About Ontario Corn Fed Beef:
- Ontario Corn Fed Beef is produced on registered family farms in Ontario
- All Ontario Corn Fed Beef producers follow a comprehensive Quality Assurance program and defined feeding protocol
- Ontario Corn Fed Beef is currently featured in 241 Loblaw Co. and affiliate stores and 120 other retail outlets across Ontario and distributed to fine restaurants through Sysco Canada and Morton’s Wholesale
- The Ontario Cattle Feeders’ Association launched Ontario Corn Fed Beef in 2001.
- Ontario’s cattle and beef sector supports more than 11,000 jobs and contributes about $4 billion dollars to the province’s economy.
- Ontario Corn Fed Beef registered producers source high quality calves from all across Canada
- All Ontario Corn Fed Beef cattle are fed and processed in Ontario.
- The Ontario Corn-Fed Beef program was launched in June of 2001 to expand the market for and profile of Ontario-produced beef. By expanding the market presence of this brand, Ontario Corn Fed Beef has been positioned as one of the leading brands of premium beef in Canada.
- The Ontario Corn Fed Beef program provides consumers both at home and globally with an identifiably Ontario brand of beef which has come to be known as consistently great tasting, wholesome, and raised in the natural environment of Ontario.
- The Ontario Corn Fed Beef program has grown into one of the largest producer owned branded beef programs in Canada. In 2014 the program produced 298,760 head of certified cattle
- A May 2014 George Morris Centre report credited the Ontario Corn Fed Beef program for generating an additional $26 per head for all cattle sold in the province of Ontario, which translates into $23.4 million of incremental cash receipt revenue for Ontario cattle producers in the years 2013/2014 alone* (*based on 450,000 head fed cattle).